Beware When Shopping For Camera's Online

I recently lost my beloved Canon Powershot SD300 camera. I decided it was time for an upgrade so I started researching the different options available. As obsessive as I am about doing the research I went far beyond what I originally intended to do and ended up trying to figure out the top of the line camera in the non-professional consumer space.

I found out that the Nikon D80 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera Kit with 18-135mm AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens which retails for about $1300 and its close competitor the Canon XTi 10.1 Megapixel Slr Camera with 2.5" LCD With Ef-s 17-85MM Zoom Lens which retails for around $1220 were the best picks for under $1500.

I would have to chose the Nikon D80 over the Canon XTi because of 3 reasons:
1. The Canon doesn't fit well in my hands. If my hands were slightly smaller like my wife's it would've fit well, but it just feels like its going to slip out.
2. The battery life on the Canon is about half as long as the Nikon. Plus the battery life indicator shows full, half and quarter as opposed to the somewhat more accurate meter on the Nikon.
3. No spot metering. [I'd probably never use it anyway]

Anyway, after doing all this research I got excited and decided I'd buy one. I found a few sites that offered phenomenal deals on both cameras. It seemed like I could get either kit for roughly $800 at sites like ExpressCameras.com. It sounded too good to be true. I did some research and I found its a scam. According to several review sites, customers were charged extra for batteries, straps, lens covers,etc which normally come standard. Not only that but there was heavy pressure to upsell onto much more expensive equipment. Also, quite a few people got wrong kits and had to dispute it through their credit card companies. That didn't really sound like something I'd enjoy going through to save a few bucks.

Anyway it put me off buying the damn camera so instead I just bought the Canon Powershot SD450 Camera. I figured that it made more sense since I had an extra battery and charger already! Plus I saved on a $1,000!

No comments:

Post a Comment