Shorting the S&P 500 index

Looking at the unbelievable Valentine's Day rally in the stock market, I decided the market might be heading for a correction. I read somewhere that smart money had the highest amount of short futures contracts since May of last year, when the market corrected quite a bit.

The easiest and cheapest way to short the S&P 500 is to buy a Profunds Inverse Market Fund like URPIX. It has amongst the lowest expenses for funds in that category and if you buy through TDAmeritrade, there are no fees to buy or sell. Not only that but $10k minimum is also waived.

The only problem is that it takes about 3 days to get in or get out of this trade, a move that may have been implemented to prevent people from daytrading mutual funds.

Anyway, I finally got filled friday at a price of $13.29. Lets see if this trade works out. I'm not really good at timing the market and as seen by my WCI puts, I'm actually quite terrible at this sort of thing! But since I don't want to sell any of my stock, this way, I'm hedging my bets. But hopefully, I can get better at this sort of thing.

Speaking of WCI, Bill Gates's foundation announced they were bailing on it but that didn't help. The stock still went up! Its up 30% since October!

No comments:

Post a Comment